Tuesday, February 26, 2013

aMErIca the Beautiful?

We are comfortable. In aMErIca there is an "I" and "Me". We all are in complete control of our own lives. We choose what we want to eat, what we want to wear, where we want to live, and what career we want to pursue. We will step on whoever to achieve the "american dream".

 For the past 2 years I have been living in the upmost comfort. I am chasing my dreams and doing what makes me happy. Sounds good right? I should do what makes me happy? I have my life controlled to the point where I know just how far to let someone in so they don't mess with my "comfortable" structure. I don't want to get hurt and I don't want risk anything.

2 years ago I was on a mission trip to Haiti. Haiti completely stripped me of all control and I was face down in the dirt crying for God and my mom. For those of you who know me that would be the first time I ever cried for my mom as an adult. I suffered severe dehydration on the way to the airport, had to be "hospitalized" at a Haitian hospital and got stuck there for an extra night.

Don't get me wrong, I love Haiti. The people there are so happy and content with nothing. I mean nothing. I learned so many things about myself when I was in Haiti. My selfishness and my ungratefulness, but also my strength. My experience at the end of the trip was traumatic and life changing for awhile.

Once I got back to my normal routine and comfortable life, I forgot about Haiti. I'm working on remembering Haiti and what I learned. Learning to be grateful, be thankful, take risks, and be strong. But most of all learning to love others and let them love me.







No comments:

Post a Comment